Hi blog readers!
We apologize for our absence of posts these past few weeks.We were taking a holiday hiatus because things caught up with both of us. Sorry! However, buckle your seat belts because 2016 is going to GREAT for the Flour Power Girls. We have a whole lineup of incredible posts ready for you over the next few weeks.
This year, I really want to get more involved with savory things. My parents would DEFINITELY appreciate not having to cook dinner every night, and I get excited just thinking about the whole new world of recipes that dinner, lunch and meals that don’t involve baked goods bring to the table. I received a few top notch cookbooks this year, including The Sugar Hit! by one of my all-time favorite bloggers, Sarah, Veganomicon by Isa Moskowitz and Terry Romero, and Voracious by Cara Nicoletti. I am so psyched to cook from them! Yay!
And on to the recipe. We’re kicking off our new savory section with this cream-sauce pasta recipe.
Get ready, because what I am about to tell you might shock you. DISCLAIMER: Flour Power Girls cannot be held legally responsible for your actions after reading the following sentence.
This super-thick, creamy pasta has NO CREAM. Yes. You can laugh in disbelief, but it is 110% true.
It is so so fast, with minimal prep, and the results are incredible. Trust me. This pasta tastes indulgent and rich, but definitely doesn’t come close to the foooooood cooooooma stage. In fact, it’s relatively light. It has some heat, refreshing lemon, lean protein, and healthy greens. It may just be the perfect meal.
Creamy Lemon Pasta with Chicken and Tomatoes.
For the chicken:
- 2 chicken breasts
- 2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 2 teaspoons pepper, divided
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes, divided
For the pasta:
- 3/4 lb pasta, preferably spaghetti or another thin, long pasta (ie tagliatelle)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 4 cloves of minced garlic
- 2 lemons, juiced and zested
- 3/4 cup greek yogurt (yes, nonfat totally works!) or creme fraiche
- 1 cup shredded Parmesan
- 1 cup arugula or spinach (stems removed)
- 1/2 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
For the chicken.
- Preheat oven to 350 fahrenheit.
- Combine spices and 1/4 teaspoon pepper flakes and gently dredge chicken in spice mixture.
- Cook in 1 tablespoon of oil in a nonstick pan over medium heat. Flip after 3 minutes or so, developing a nice char.
- Transfer to a baking sheet, and bake for about 25 minutes, until chicken is fully cooked (test it please!).
- Let cool and cut into bite-size pieces.
For the pasta.
- Cook pasta according to package directions, and drain, reserving 2 tablespoons of pasta water.
- In pasta pot, cook garlic in remaining 2 tablespoons of oil and remaining pepper flakes.
- Add lemon juice, greek yogurt and pasta water.
- Once the sauce has thickened slightly, and greek yogurt has melted, add chicken, pasta and Parmesan. Mix well.
- Once the cheese has melted, add arugula/spinach and tomatoes. Combine and let wilt.